Fire & EMS

The Delphos Fire Department is headquartered in Downtown Delphos and serves the City of Delphos, half of Marion Township and  half of Washington Township and includes the Village of Landeck.

Fire and Rescue Services
The Delphos Fire and Rescue provides high quality fire and emergency services.  The department is staffed with a chief and 6 career firefighers, Emergency Medical Technicians and 40 part paid intermittent personnel.

  • Fire  Suppression
  • Emergency Medical and Paramedic
  • Hazardous Materials Response
  • Urban Search and Rescue Services
  • Home and Business Fire Inspection
  • Public Education for both businesses and schools

History

fire-ems-banner

The Delphos Fire Department was motorized in 1916 by the purchase of a combination hose and chemical truck from Service Truck Company of Wabash, Ind. This served well until 1929 when a Gramm Truck Chassis was purchased from the Gramm Truck Company, a local enterprise, and was equipped with a 500 gallon per minute Boyer pumper and chemical tanks. Later the chemical tanks were removed and the truck converted into a triple combination, equipped to carry 400 gallons of water in its booster tank.

In May 1930 the department was still further modernized with the purchase of a 1000-gallon per minute triple combination Seagrave pumper, fully equipped. Staffing consisted of four full time fire fighters, two on each shift, one substitute and two part time men for added night service, and 15 volunteers served under the direction of Chief Nick Hummer. In 1950 the Delphos Fire Department purchased a 1950 Seagrave 2-stage 500 gallon per minute pumper with a tank capacity of 500 gallons. With the delivery of this pumper the 1929 Gramm was taken from the first line of service, however it was kept in condition so if the time came it would be needed, it would be ready for service.

In the summer of 1953 the Delphos Community Fire Protection Association was formed by the farmers of Marion, Washington, and Jennings townships, with the intention of purchasing a tank truck to be used for transporting water to rural fires. In early summer 1954 they purchased a Dodge chassis with a 1500-gallon tank installed on it by Gramm Trailer Corp. of Delphos. With completion of the tank truck it was then donated to the Delphos Fire Department to be used as needed.

On January 1, 1960 City Council authorized the Fire Department manpower to be increased from 15-20 volunteer fire fighters, and that their pay be raised to $3.00 for the first hour and $2.00 per hour after.

In 1962 a 1000-gallon per minute Seagrave pumper with a tank of 300 gallons was purchased. With the delivery of this pumper the 1930 Seagrave was taken from active service and placed in reserve. At that time the 1929 Gramm is now housed at the Fire Truck Museum located on the Canal parking lot on Second Street one block west of the Fire Station.

In early 1964 the community Fire Protection Association took into consideration that the tank truck they purchased in 1954 was now ten years old and should be replaced. In July of the same year the 1954 Dodge was replaced with a 1964 International chassis and a new water tank with a capacity of 2000 gallons.

On February 1, 1967 City Council authorized the manpower of the Delphos Fire Department be increased to five full time men and one part time man. The full time department consisted of a Chief, two Captains, and two fire fighters. With this the total manpower of the department was five full time fire fighters, one part time fire fighter, and two night fire fighters, with twenty volunteer fire fighters on call at all times.

In April of 1972, a new 1250-gallon per minute pumper, with a 750 gallon water tank was purchased. In trying to keep up to date with ever changing needs of the community, a 1974 International Chassis along with a 2000-gallon water tank and a 250-gallon per minute pump was purchased. This truck replaced the 1964 tank truck.

1978 saw the purchase of a four wheel drive Dodge truck for use as a Mini-Pumper, with a small 200 gallon water tank and pump. Its primary role was to respond to trash fires, field fires, and use of the portable generator to light incident scenes at night.

In June of 1981, City Council showed their continued commitment to the safety of its residents by increasing the number of full time fire fighters to six men from five, and making the chief’s position forty hours per week. Volunteer fire fighter staff was increased from twenty to twenty-five positions.

In 1982 the purchase of a Ford Chassis, and custom built pumper equipped with a 1250 gallon per minute pump and 750 gallon water tank was purchased.  This truck replaced the 1962 Seagrave pumper which was kept in reserve and ready for action if pressed into service.

In 1990 a heavy rescue unit was put into service.   In time of money shortage the fire department, known for their thriftiness, took a 1977 ambulance and refurbished it, and produced a Heavy Rescue Vehicle. All the necessary equipment for many different types of incidents are on board, from extrication tools, air bags, and hazardous material items.  It is also used when making mutual aid responses with surrounding departments. Six SCBA’s are on board for just such responses.

In 1994 all full time fire fighters had became certified as EMT-A’s allowing a first responder program to be instituted. The response time for emergency care was cut in half which allowed patients with medical treatment in a timely manner.  The public once made fully aware of the program was very receptive to the concept and pleased with its addition.

In the middle of 1994 a new Water Rescue Division of the Department was formed.  This division comprised of twenty plus members, ten are certified SCUBA divers who donate their time for any related emergency.  Pride and dedication to saving lives is the driving force of these members. Through many donations, contributions, and the Delphos Fire Association, an Avon Inflatable Boat and 25-horse power Mercury motor were purchased for these types of emergencies.

1997 the Fire Department saw the delivery of a new E-One 1500 gallon per minute pump, with a 1000-gallon water tank to provide the most up to date fire protection.  This new pumper replaced the 1972 Ford which was placed in reserve roll.

In 2002, the City of Delphos took ownership of a 2002 E-One 18′ Non-Walk-in Heavy Rescue Unit that replaced the 1977 refurbished ambulance.

In 2008, American Lafrance 2500 gallon tanker with pump capibilites was added to the fleet.

 

Upcoming Events

S M T W T F S
 
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28